The cycle of Orthodox worship is done to bring meaning and fulfillment
and purpose to the life of each Christian. The sacramental mysteries mark
significant passages in a person’s life (i.e. baptism, chrismation,
holy communion, marriage, confession, holy orders, unction, monastic profession,
funeral, etc.). The other cycles are meant to fill-out the daily life in
between these major life events and bring the person into conscious contact
and communion with the living God.
The Church is the body of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. We worship
in truth and in Spirit. Worship is participation in the heavenly kingdom
where the adoration of God is unending.
- DAILY CYCLE:
The daily cycle begins at sunset according to the ancient Jewish observance.
Thus, the Church observes the following order of services.
- Vespers (Esperinos) - anticipation
connection to liturgy / sundown
- Compline (Apodeipnon) - after
- Midnight Office (Mesonuktikon)
- also known as matins 1 or 2AM
- Lauds (Orthros) - start 2
- First Hour (Prime) - start 4:30
- Third Hour (Terce) - approx.
- Sixth Hour (Sext) - approx.
- Ninth Hour (None) - approx.
- The Interhours (orai) during fasting periods
- Blessing of the Table (midday & evening)
- Morning & Evening Prayers
Divine Liturgy is not part of the daily cycle, it is an eschatological
event which breaks in upon time and transports its participants to a point
outside of time to the eternal Now.
CYCLE OF THE EIGHT TONES:
- Saturday (vespers) - The Resurrection
- Sunday - The Resurrection
- Monday - Angels
- Tuesday - John the Baptist (Forerunner)
- Wednesday - Betrayal by Judas
- Thursday - Holy Apostles
- Friday - The Cross
- Saturday (orthros) - The Dead
CYCLE OF MOVABLE FEASTS (centered upon Easter/Pascha)
and Holy Lent
- All Saints
- ANNUAL CYCLE OF FIXED FEASTS
- September 1 - Beginning of the Ecclesiatical (Church) Year
- September 8 - Birth
of the Theotokos
- September 14 - Elevation
of the Cross
- November 21 - Entrance
of the Theotokos
- December 25 - The
Nativity of Christ
- January 6 - Theophany
- February 2 - Meeting
of Our Lord
- March 25- The
- August 6 - The
- August 15 - The
- LIFE CYCLE OF MAN
- Holy Communion
- Holy Orders
- Monastic Profession