Missions and Benevolence
The Saint George Missions and Benevolence Committee is concerned with promoting philanthropy in its original and purest expression i. e., “love for one’s fellow person”, love expressed in thought, word, and deed, cognizant of the fact that God is love.
Responding to the apostolic exhortations that “our love may abound more and more, with deep knowledge and discernment” (Philippians 1:9) and that “faith without works is dead” (James 2:26), this committee seeks to motivate all communicants, men and women, young and old, to be more philanthropic in their outlook and to create community outreach towards philanthropic needs in the Saint George community, the Twin Cities, and beyond.
To accomplish this goal, the Missions and Benevolence Committee will live out its mission, working closely with various community organizations and our Ladies’ Philoptochos Society.
A part of what we do is to cook and serve hot and nutritious meals to the hungry; we strive to do this regularly/monthly. Through Loaves and Fishes we cook and serve meals every other month at Saint Matthew’s Church in West St. Paul. On a typical night we serve approximately 250 meals. Through Focus MN, we cook and serve meals 3-5 times a year. We are in the process of finding a charity to replace our Families Moving Forward commitment to serve a meal to homeless families yearly. We support the Focus MN food pantry and clothing closet with ongoing donation drives. We also donate our time and treasures to the following charities that are aligned with our Mission:
- International Orthodox Christian Charities
- Orthodox Christian Mission Center
- Focus MN
- Philoxenia House
- Lyn Olson Medical Crisis Program
- Priests Discretionary Fund
- Orthodox Christian Prision Ministry
- Minnesota Eastern Orthodox Clergy Association (MEOCCA)
The Ladies Philoptochos Society is the official philanthropic women's organization of the Greek Orthodox Church of America. They are interested in helping those who are needy as well as the organizing certain church events. Some of their activities include:
- Preparation of the Vasilopita in January
- Cheesefare Sunday Meal
- Coffee Hour on various Holidays
- Resurrection Sunday Coffee Hour
- Exaltation of the Cross Coffee Hour in September
- Patriarchate Sunday Coffee Hour in November
- Fundraising Events
- Bake Sales
- A Fashion Show
- Charitible Functions
- Visiting of Shut-Ins
- Sending of Flowers, Gifts and Carolling for the Sick and Elderly
- Donation of Money to Those in Need
- Support of Trinity Missions
- Support of the Loaves and Fishes Program
For more information about Philoptochos in general visit their web site at www.philoptochos.org.